The role of a purpose is to crystallise shared ambition and beliefs that unite the organisation, and set it in the context of the world, not the category.It’s not a financial objective, or a mission statement. It instead defines the reason you exist at all.
What are you for? What role do you play for people? What do you believe in and what do you want to change about the world?
A good purpose becomes a clear direction – for consumers to rally to, and for you to make decisions by. It should direct everything the organisation does, help prioritise investment, and harness all the energy of people and ideas to drive growth. It should also link to the brand positioning, and be evident in the positive action the business takes. And be simple enough that everyone can understand and repeat it.
Challenges we help solve for clients include:
- “We need a single minded idea to bring the whole company together”
- “We lack a clear direction, a purpose, we’ve become a bit staid and lost our momentum”
- “We’ve been through a lot of change, we need to unite the teams now and move forward”
- “We have agreed a purpose at the board but can’t seem to get traction for it in the business”
- “We’re not clear on how company purpose links to the individual brand positionings”
- “We want to stand for something, so that we can stand out and really engage with consumers better”
- “We’ve got a brand positioning/proposition, but it’s not a big enough idea to really drive us”
Skills that bluebabel can bring to the table for these challenges are many and varied:
- Purpose best practice, learning from other businesses, clear criteria for success
- Stakeholder interviews and engagement
- External world and trends input to help identify the future business opportunity
- ‘Archetype’ methods for unlocking the right debate to nail the best purpose
- Audience research – consumers, customers, stakeholders and employees
- Facilitation design and delivery for creative, strategy or engagement workshops
- Total process design and project management